Frequently Asked Questions
Why isn't iThenticate free?
Researchers should be very wary of "free" plagiarism checking services. Some sites offer free plagiarism checks and then harvest author’s work for resale in global manuscript mills. So "free" may cost you more than you realize. For a sobering - but not uncommon - example, see "The Computer Stole My Homework." iThenticate does not exploit, resell or share submitted manuscripts. For the past 10 years, we have built a reputation on trust and integrity as the world's leader in intellectual property protection services.
Does iThenticate detect plagiarism?
iThenticate identifies material that matches text from documents found in our extensive database. Highlighted text will include text that has been properly quoted and cited so it is not necessarily plagiarized. You’ll just need to verify that every highlighted section has been properly quoted, summarized or paraphrased. As a result, iThenticate makes it easier for you to identify and attribute any material in your manuscript that you may have unintentionally plagiarized.
Does iThenticate add my manuscript to any databases?
No. iThenticate does not add your manuscript to any databases.
What is Purpose of iThenticate?
iThenticate has two primary benefits. First, authors can ensure they have sufficiently cited their sources and presented the highest quality written work. Second, this preliminary editorial review will allow editors of your work to more efficiently move your submitted manuscript to publication.
What is the future direction for iThenticate?
We plan to continue to grow our database for an even more comprehensive review, while soliciting researcher and author feedback to add new features and enhanced functionality.
Does iThenticate scan everything ever written?
While iThenticate does search an enormous amount of written work, it is not currently possible to search every document ever written. Since there are a number of books that are not accessible or available in digital form, they are not part of our digital databases.
Can editors see my Similarity Report?
No. iThenticate gives you your own personal account. No one can access it but you. If you would like to share your report, you can print it out or download to HTML and email.
Is iThenticate only for authors and researchers?
No. iThenticate is available to everybody. If you are submitting large amounts of material over time, you may wish to investigate standard licensing opportunities, which may prove more cost effective.
- Why isn't iThenticate free?
- Does iThenticate detect plagiarism?
- Does iThenticate add my manuscript to any databases?
- What is Purpose of iThenticate?
- What is future direction for iThenticate?
- Does iThenticate scan everything ever written?
- Can editors see my Similarity Report?
- Is iThenticate only for authors and researchers?
- How do I get started?
- How large can my document be? How many pages or words?
- How many times can I submit a manuscript?
- How do I submit a manuscript?
- Against what resources will my manuscript be compared?
- How long will I have to wait until my results are ready?
- How will I know if my results are ready?
- How do I see my results?
- What happens if I try to resubmit a paper for a 2nd time?
- What is a revision?
- How do I submit another manuscript?
- Is there a user manual or instructions for using iThenticate?
Viewing iThenticate Results
- What does the percentage mean?
- What do the highlighted boxes mean?
- What does it mean to exclude quotes and exclude bibliography?